Banana Bread Loaf
Makes 10 servesPrint This page
- ⅓ cup Lowan Rolled Oats
- 1 tablespoon healthier margarine spread*
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg
- 90g healthier margarine spread*
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- ¾ cup self raising flour
- ¼ cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- ½ cup Lowan Rolled Oats
- ¾ cup mashed very ripe banana
Make topping by mixing the oats, margarine spread, brown sugar and cinnamon together with a wooden spoon until well combined. Set aside.
Pre-heat oven to 160°C/320°C (140°C fan-forced) and brush a 21.5 x 11.5 x 5.5cm loaf tin with margarine spread and line with baking paper.
Using a microwave oven or stove top, melt margarine spread and cool.
Place cooled margarine spread, brown sugar, vanilla extract and eggs in mixing bowl. Mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
In a small bowl, mix the bicarbonate of soda into the buttermilk and add to the liquid ingredients with the flours, oats and banana. Mix until well combined.
Pour mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle with the topping mixture.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden and when a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Cool for a few minutes in the tin before transferring to a wire cooling rack, removing the baking paper and cooling completely.
Serve cut into slices.
TIP - 2 medium sized bananas yield ¾ cup mashed banana.
- Very ripe bananas give this bread a great flavour.
- *Healthier margarine spreads – e.g. margarine spreads made with canola, sunflower, soybean, safflower or olive oils