Serves 2Print This page
- ½ cup Lowan Wholegrain Quick Oats
- ½ cup (125mL) cold water
- ½ cup (125mL) cold skim or reduced fat milk skim
- Skim or reduced fat milk for serving
- Topping of choice – see porridge topping ideas
Place oats and cold water in a saucepan. Stir and stand for 5 minutes.
Place saucepan over a medium heat, add the milk and stir occasionally until the porridge comes to the boil.
Reduce heat to low and stir constantly for 2-3 minutes.
Serve in heated bowls with topping of choice.
TIP - Stirring the porridge during cooking is the secret to the creamy result.
Creamy Porridge with Golden Syrup and Rhubarb
- ½ cup stewed rhubarb
- 2 teaspoons golden syrup
- 1 quantity cooked Creamy Porridge
Stir half the golden syrup into the rhubarb.
Swirl rhubarb through individual serves of cooked Creamy Porridge.
Serve with skim or reduced fat and drizzle with the remaining golden syrup.
TIP - If the rhubarb is too tart for your taste, add a little more golden syrup.
Makes 6 x ¼ cup serves
- ½ bunch rhubarb
- ½ tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup water
Trim the leaves from the rhubarb and trim ends.
Cut rhubarb into 4cm lengths rinse.
Place the rhubarb, sugar and water into a saucepan.
Cook rhubarb over a medium heat until simmering, reduce heat to low and simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Store in the refrigerator and use as desired.
- As cooked rhubarb stores well covered in the refrigerator, cook up the whole bunch. Double the sugar and water and simmer for the same time.
– Cooked rhubarb topped with Oat Crumble Mix (recipe below) makes a quick delicious dessert. Serve crumble with reduced fat ice cream or reduced fat custard.
Oat Crumble Mix
Makes 6 serves
- ½ cup Lowan Wholegrain Rolled Oats
- ⅓ cup plain wholemeal flour
- 1½ tablespoons raw sugar
- 2 tablespoons healthier margarine spread*
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
Pre-heat oven to 180◦C/350◦C (160◦C fan-forced) and line a 27 x 17cm (base measurement) slice pan with baking paper.
Place oats, flour and sugar into a large mixing bowl and mix well. Add the margarine spread and mix until well combined and looks crumbly. Stir in the walnuts.
Place mixture into the prepared slice pan and spread out evenly.
Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 10 minutes, stir. Bake for a further 6-8 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve hot or cold over stewed fruit.
TIP - Add a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg for a spicy crumble.
* Healthier margarine spreads – e.g. margarine spreads made with canola, sunflower, soybean, safflower or olive oils.